Monday, April 21, 2014

Back

I took a little blogging break. Because April has not been my month. And the last thing I'm going to do is make up a post about how life is always perfect.

I made a big mistake at work (yes I sent my boss to a conference in Dallas on the wrong day), I've cooked dinner once this month and always feel behind on laundry (and have shrunk some of Brennan's shirts), I'm going through an ugly phase (bang-growing-out phase, hormonal breakout, haven't worked out in weeks- the works) and have just been really down on myself lately.

Brennan has been an extra-incredible husband this month. He is such a good listener but doesn't allow me to sit and have a pity party for myself. He gets genuinely mad when I call myself ugly or a failure of a wife. Those words aren't allowed in our house, according to him. And when I've had a hard day and need to have a good cry (because sometimes you really need one of those) he just holds me and lets me cry, while probably secretly thinking he married a crazy person.

But you know what, it's my choice that I've decided that I've had a hard month. That's how I chose to look at it- a bad month, instead of looking at all of my blessings. And yes, I listened to conference, and yes, I know President Uchtdorf's talk was meant for me, and was exactly what I needed to hear: "How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?" But what I've found, is that it takes constant effort. That's why the second I'm feeling down about myself, I list 5 blessings in my life, or 5 things I'm grateful for in my head. For example...

1- I am so blessed that Brennan is my husband. I really don't know how I got that boy. He adds so much happiness to my life and I want to be just like him.
2- I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who lets me live with my husband, family, and other loved ones forever. All because of Him. (watch that if you haven't already)
3- I am grateful for good health. This one really makes me feel stupid for having a personal pity party. I am healthy, I am walking, I am talking, and not everyone can say that.
4- I am grateful to have a job that allows me to help feed Brennan and I, keep a roof over our head, and pay bills.
5- I am grateful for the few hard days because they help me really really appreciate the many good ones.

Something else that helped me snap out of it was an Easter weekend getaway to St. George with my family. It really was just what I needed. Sometimes a change of scenery for a few days is all you need to put things into perspective.

buns are fun

found Waldo

SWIG


Orange Peel

I sure love that sister of mine. 




Am I playing golf or baseball? No one knows.

"Life does not have to perfect to be wonderful." Someone please help me remember that!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley! So random but I came across your blog today (stalking while bored at work) and I just wanted to say you are beautiful and I loved reading your blog! I especially like this post because everyone has days or weeks or months that they feel down on themselves and trust me I know how it feels. Thanks for putting things into perspective for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley- awesome perspective! Let me share a little story! I love reading your blog, with a couple of others. For me, I haven't yet started my own blog because I sometimes feel as if I could not live up to the "perfection" of other cute bloggers, like yourself. I always say, well I am not as pretty and just do not live as cute of a life as they do! It is so nice to know that even those that seem to have it all happen to have bad days too :) Sometimes it is hard to see that we are ALL human :) Thanks for this beautiful and honest blog post. I love reading, and will continue to!

    ReplyDelete