Thursday, May 22, 2014

Heaven Is Here

I promise I won't write a post on every book I read.
I've read 4 books so far this month
but I'll spare you the details
on all but this one.

Remember when I said The Fault in Our Stars changed my life?
That was just scratching the surface.
This is a true story
with an outcome that could leave someone bitter and miserable for life (and rightfully so in my opinion)
but this woman does the exact opposite.
She is the LDS mom who burned alive in a plane crash.
She is my hero.
There is not an hour of my day that goes by now that I do not think about her
and what she has taught me.
I am praying I can run into her one day and thank her.

You should really read this book.
And then read her blog. Her post today is especially good.
And then follow her on Instagram. (Her house is AMAZING!)
A big thank you to Liv and Gracie for recommending it to me.




Just a few of my favorite quotes from the book...

"I still have to remind myself to choose happiness almost every morning when I wake up in pain, and I expect I will need reminding throughout my life, but the amazing thing is the more I make the choice to see and feel joy, the more joy there is to see and feel."

"Now I face trials with a better understanding of who I am, and the strength that comes from knowing I've survived worse. My body was scarred and disfigured, but just the opposite happened to my heart. Today, my heart is triumphant, my body is strong, and my life is full of everyday blessings."

"I know, now, without a doubt that the true source of happiness, self-worth, and authentic beauty doesn't come from the outside. Women are constantly being persuaded to want something unachievable, to look younger or thinner and above all to fit in because being different is too painful and embarrassing. I have accepted myself in a world that does not accept me, because I have learned- and more than any of the lessons of my accident, this is the one I wish I could teach everybody- that our hearts matter most. Your heart matters most, so be gentler and more patient with yourself, and their hearts matter most, too, so be kinder and more compassionate to others. It's a beautiful heart, not a perfect body, that leads to a beautiful life."




1 comment:

  1. this is AMAZING. i've heard so so much about this book, i needed to read it.

    ReplyDelete