Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Always Be Grateful

Meet Leslie & Melissa.
My parents serve in a Spanish branch,
and these are two of my mom's young women.
She invited me to come along for a night of Chick-fil-A and back to school shopping she put together for these darling girls,
and I was so excited, not only because eating and shopping are my favorite things,
but because I knew it was an experience that would help keep me grounded,
and a night I would probably never forget.
 
I won't get into the details of these girls' lives
because it's not my business to tell,
but I will say that they had never eaten at Chick-fil-A,
and that this was their first time to Target. Ever.
I think it was also the first time they've ever picked out outfits for themselves.
(They are so skinny we had to shop in the little girl's section!)
They weren't even sure what they liked and didn't
because I don't think they've ever been asked that before.
 
I learned 2 things that night.
 
One, I hope I can be like my mom one day and do that kind of service for people. She is a literal angel from heaven who always thinks of others before herself. Last night helped me more than it helped those girls.
 
Two, Never forget to ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL, even for the littlest things, like being able to pick something you like out at the store and buying it, or having a choice of what to eat, or wearing clothes that fit. We live in a bit of a bubble and sometimes forget that's a privilege not everyone has. And it's not always people living in 3rd world countries, it's people who live just down the street from us.
 
Happy first day of school Leslie & Melissa!
I hope your new clothes and school supplies make you feel as beautiful, smart, and loved as you are.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment