Wednesday, January 14, 2015

New 'Do

Last night I went and got my hair done by my darling friend Devery at Salon O for the first time!  She had just taken a hair painting class from a stylist in NYC and I was so excited to try this method out.
 
The benefit of having your hair painted instead of foiled, especially for blondes, is that you don't get that horrible regrowth that gives a line that's straight as a ruler because you are hand painting the highlights, which gives a much more sunkissed look. When using foils, you work row by row, which makes the highlight pattern look very linear and grid-like. The hair painting gives more flexibility on where you want to place the highlights so the resulting pattern looks a lot more natural.  It lasts between 8-10 weeks, where foiling lasted me 5-6.
 
Dev did make we wait an extra 2 weeks do to my hair so that I would have enough regrowth to totally get rid of the harsh lines in my hair from foiling. She had me send her pictures of my regrowth and told me she needed about another 1/4th inch of roots to do it. It was a rough 2 weeks for my hair but SO worth it and I love that she waited so she could do it right.
 
The first thing we did when I got there was take before pictures. How cute is that darling wallpaper? Also, all of these pictures have zero editing, just so you can really see the true color.

 
Suuuuuuper cute picture of me
 
 
 
Next we took 2 inches off the bottom because my lob had become a soccer mom haircut from not having a hair appointment in so long and Dev wanted to get it out of the way before we started on the color.
 
 
 
Already feeling a little better.
 
And here are the harsh lines from foiling in all their glory:
 
 
 
YUCK. I had no idea how bleached out I was! What was happening is that my hair just kept getting lighter and lighter because we were weaving any strands of hair we felt like not doing the exact same pieces everytime, and it just got so blonde because we weren't putting any lowlights in or leaving any of my natural color that the regrowth kept getting worse and worse, and then I'd want to get my hair done more and more often, and it was making my hair less and less healthy! Not good my friends, not good. If you do get your hair foiled, make sure your hair girl is weaving the exact same strands of hair everytime!
 
So to get rid of all the harsh lines going on in my hair, we actually had to color the top 5 inches of my hair and the whole underneath a darker carmely color that matched my natural. (It looks like bleach but it's actually the dark carmel color!)
 
 
That sat for about 20 minutes and then we washed and dried me. Then Dev started to paint the blonde back in, as well as some lowlights. I didn't get any pictures of that step, dang it, it was the coolest part! Well, one of them.
 
After that processed, she washed me and then put a deep conditioner on and gave me an AMAZING scalp massage while it worked its magic.
 
Then she brought me back and the real haircut began. We took another inch off the back, a tad more off the front, and made it super A-lined.
 
Then she dried me and curled my hair WITH THE BLOWDRYER! She used a paddle brush and did twists away from the face as she dried. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, and when I woke up today it still looked perfect! I literally touched up 2 pieces.
 
She then texturized my hair to give it some movement and thinned out my bangs a tad since they can get heavy. A little product and...
 
Walla!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Such a more natural blonde color that will have such better regrowth and the SHINE- I couldn't get over the shine the deep condition gave my hair!
 
 
No more lines and grids! Because there was so much color correction the whole thing took 6 hours, and Dev was such a perfectionist the entire time. I knew I was in the best hands. It is honestly one of the very best decisions I have ever made!
 
 
Because you know I'm all about that paint, bout that paint, no foil.
 
Hehe.
 
Thank you Dev, love you!
 
xoxo
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. You have Lauren Conrad hair! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my entire 2015!!!!!!! I didn't even think of that but I can see similarities! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. it looks amazing! i agree ^^^^^^ LC fo sho. i've always wanted to do a long a-line bob, but after my wedding! haha

    xo, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that looks so good! And the color looks really natural and soft. I hate those harsh lines that come from typical highlights so I will have to look into finding someone who uses this technique.

    ReplyDelete